Tuesday, February 21, 2012

February 21, 2012



Happy Fat Tuesday everyone! Did anyone else besides me wake up and realize that they no longer fit into ANYTHING they own?? How ironic! *sigh*

I have had this urge to "sew" lately. I don't know if it's a nesting thing, or just a weird "phase" I am going through, but I find myself looking at fabric more, and wondering how hard it would be to make this or that.

I haven't sewn for years! I remember loving to go to my Grandma's house and sewing with her. She is an amazing seamstress, but of course it is only years later that I realize I really should have taken the time and put forth the effort to really learn from her!

I took Home EC classes in Middle School, and even remember being in a little 4H group that taught me how to sew. My Mom was always good to let me use her machine, and help me out with my projects, but somewhere along the way I guess I got bored of it, or decided that it was just too frustrating. There was nothing more infuriating than having to use the little stitch pick to pull out mistakes! I think doing that a few too many times may have been my downfall.

Reagan has said for quite awhile that when she grows up, she wants to be a Fashion Designer. So for Christmas we bought her a sewing machine. My idea totally, but Chris thought it was a good one. Reagan however was not as thrilled with her present as I thought she would be. My Mother in Law is also an excellent seamstress, and she said that she would teach Reagan how to sew. Well..the poor sewing machine has sat in the box in Reagan's room since Christmas Day!

Chris pulled it out this weekend so that we, and when I say "we" I mean HE could make the curtain for the bathroom. I maybe could have done it, but there was no pattern, just the image in my head, and since it had been so long since I had sewn, I figured the curtain shouldn't be the poor unsuspecting victim.

Today however I found some really cute flannel, and thought I would try my hand at a blanket or two for Carson. I mean seriously...it's a blanket, how badly could I screw that up! Actually I did end up pulling out some stitches her and there, but for the most part, I think they turned out kind of cute. I still need to iron them but the point is that I made two blankets, all on my own, and I had fun! :)

Maybe one day I'll get brave and try something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment